POLICE have captured a rogue guinea fowl that robbed residents of sleep for ‘a week’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol.
The native African bird makes a sound like somewhere between a goose and a peacock, and disturbed neighbours along Calle Valdepeñas in Torre del Mar both day and night.
Local police were called several times to catch the near-flightless bird, but proved unsuccessful – until now.
“It is a very annoying sound, we have been hearing it for a week, at times, and in different places, because it is moving, both day and night,” one neighbour told the Diario Sur.
The guinea fowl is not native to Spain, but has been growing in popularity in recent years for its eggs and meat.
Environmental protection unit Don Animal was called in to rectify the situation.
Spokesperson José Antonio Villodres said ‘it shouldn’t be difficult to capture her, because guinea fowl don’t fly much’.
Despite Villodres’ words, however, the bird consistently alluded capture and was seen running away from frustrated, sleep-deprived residents.
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43
- WATCH: Woman leaps into sea as ‘Kontiki II’ ferry boat nearly smashes into 154-metre Balearia behemoth between Ibiza and Formentera - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:11
- Man starved dog to avoid ‘picking up its poo’ arrested on the Costa Blanca - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 18:45
- Spanish bar bills customer €10 for ‘taking the piss’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 15:08
- Romanian woman found beheaded while six months pregnant in Costa Blanca apartment - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 11:12