POLICE have captured a rogue guinea fowl that robbed residents of sleep for ‘a week’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol.
The native African bird makes a sound like somewhere between a goose and a peacock, and disturbed neighbours along Calle Valdepeñas in Torre del Mar both day and night.
Local police were called several times to catch the near-flightless bird, but proved unsuccessful – until now.
“It is a very annoying sound, we have been hearing it for a week, at times, and in different places, because it is moving, both day and night,” one neighbour told the Diario Sur.
The guinea fowl is not native to Spain, but has been growing in popularity in recent years for its eggs and meat.
Environmental protection unit Don Animal was called in to rectify the situation.
Spokesperson José Antonio Villodres said ‘it shouldn’t be difficult to capture her, because guinea fowl don’t fly much’.
Despite Villodres’ words, however, the bird consistently alluded capture and was seen running away from frustrated, sleep-deprived residents.
- WATCH: Videos pour in as ‘gota fria’ drenches Javea and Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:52
- Marina Alta on RED ALERT as heavy rains cause flash floods along Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:05
- ‘Level 1 emergency’ declared as largest Easter storm in 73 years hits the Costa Blanca - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- Health Agency issues warning that Dutch cookies containing CANNABIS are being accidentally sold to children across Spain - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- Diver resuscitated after suffering heart attack off coast from Javea on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 00:18
- BREAKING: Foreign Office issues warning to Brits as strike set to hit EVERY Spanish airport this Easter - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:24
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08