AN earthquake has hit a popular holiday destination on the Costa Blanca, rattling residents’ windows and houses from Cartagena to Benidorm.
The magnitude 4.0 earthquake hit on Sunday at 5.16pm just offshore from Torrevieja, according to Spain’s Instituto Geografico Nacional.
Alicante, Elche, Torrellano and Santa Pola were the most affected regions, though tremors were recorded all along the 200-kilometre Costa Blanca.
President of the Spanish Association of Geographers, Jorge Olcina, said it was ‘one of the major earthquakes of recent years in the province’.
The tremor hit just as commemorations were taking place for the Cabo de Palos earthquake that struck 190 years ago, on March 21, 1820, which killed 400 people.
Social media user Cathy Grant said: ‘‘Boy oh boy it rattled the windows in Guardamar, felt like a huge rumble of thunder. Biggest one I’ve felt.’’
Jackie Palmer said: ‘‘Was a tad scary, first one we’ve felt, thought me glass curtains were a gonna.’’
- WATCH: Videos pour in as ‘gota fria’ drenches Javea and Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:52
- Marina Alta on RED ALERT as heavy rains cause flash floods along Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:05
- ‘Level 1 emergency’ declared as largest Easter storm in 73 years hits the Costa Blanca - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- Health Agency issues warning that Dutch cookies containing CANNABIS are being accidentally sold to children across Spain - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- Diver resuscitated after suffering heart attack off coast from Javea on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 00:18
- BREAKING: Foreign Office issues warning to Brits as strike set to hit EVERY Spanish airport this Easter - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:24
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08