AN earthquake has hit a popular holiday destination on the Costa Blanca, rattling residents’ windows and houses from Cartagena to Benidorm.
The magnitude 4.0 earthquake hit on Sunday at 5.16pm just offshore from Torrevieja, according to Spain’s Instituto Geografico Nacional.
Alicante, Elche, Torrellano and Santa Pola were the most affected regions, though tremors were recorded all along the 200-kilometre Costa Blanca.
President of the Spanish Association of Geographers, Jorge Olcina, said it was ‘one of the major earthquakes of recent years in the province’.
The tremor hit just as commemorations were taking place for the Cabo de Palos earthquake that struck 190 years ago, on March 21, 1820, which killed 400 people.
Social media user Cathy Grant said: ‘‘Boy oh boy it rattled the windows in Guardamar, felt like a huge rumble of thunder. Biggest one I’ve felt.’’
Jackie Palmer said: ‘‘Was a tad scary, first one we’ve felt, thought me glass curtains were a gonna.’’
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51