A BRITISH paedophile arrested in Granada after three years on the run has been jailed for 23 years.
David Daniel Hayes, 40, from Conwy vanished after he first faced child sex offence charges in court in 2015.
He had been working as a private English teacher in the Andalucian city, using a fake name, before Spanish police apprehended him in July.
A victim impact statement described Hayes as an ‘evil monster’ at Mold Crown Court on Tuesday where he was sent down for 12 different child sex offences.
After Hayes fled on a plane from Liverpool to Amsterdam in May 2015, North Wales Police made several appeals and BBC Crimewatch put him on their list of most wanted fugitives in Europe.
Judge Rhys Rowlands told Hayes that he wouldn’t automatically get parole after serving half of his sentence, saying it is possible he could serve it all.
The judge described him as ‘a pretty inadequate individual with a distorted view of life,’ whose crimes are of the ‘most appalling depravity’.
An NSPCC Cymru spokesperson said victims should be ‘commended for their bravery at speaking out and helping to put Hayes behind bars where he cannot hurt others’.
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48