A BRITISH paedophile arrested in Granada after three years on the run has been jailed for 23 years.
David Daniel Hayes, 40, from Conwy vanished after he first faced child sex offence charges in court in 2015.
He had been working as a private English teacher in the Andalucian city, using a fake name, before Spanish police apprehended him in July.
A victim impact statement described Hayes as an ‘evil monster’ at Mold Crown Court on Tuesday where he was sent down for 12 different child sex offences.
After Hayes fled on a plane from Liverpool to Amsterdam in May 2015, North Wales Police made several appeals and BBC Crimewatch put him on their list of most wanted fugitives in Europe.
Judge Rhys Rowlands told Hayes that he wouldn’t automatically get parole after serving half of his sentence, saying it is possible he could serve it all.
The judge described him as ‘a pretty inadequate individual with a distorted view of life,’ whose crimes are of the ‘most appalling depravity’.
An NSPCC Cymru spokesperson said victims should be ‘commended for their bravery at speaking out and helping to put Hayes behind bars where he cannot hurt others’.
- Tourism companies in Spain SLAM Government plans to - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49