THE UK has been granted a six-month extension to Brexit by European Union leaders after a tense summit in Brussels.
Prime Minister Theresa May had wanted a shorter delay to Brexit up to June 30, with the possibility of an earlier exit if her withdrawal deal was ratified.
EU leaders settled on a new flexible deadline of October 31 meaning Britain could have to participate in the May European elections.
“I know that there is huge frustration from many people that I had to request this extension.
“The UK should have left the EU by now and I sincerely regret the fact that I have not yet been able to persuade Parliament to approve a deal,” said May.
The new Halloween departure date was agreed after a six-hour long meeting of leaders.
European Council President, Donald Tusk said: “This extension is as flexible as I expected and a little bit shorter than I expected but it is still enough to find the best possible solution,
“Please do not waste this time.”
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57