THE UK has been granted a six-month extension to Brexit by European Union leaders after a tense summit in Brussels.
Prime Minister Theresa May had wanted a shorter delay to Brexit up to June 30, with the possibility of an earlier exit if her withdrawal deal was ratified.
EU leaders settled on a new flexible deadline of October 31 meaning Britain could have to participate in the May European elections.
“I know that there is huge frustration from many people that I had to request this extension.
“The UK should have left the EU by now and I sincerely regret the fact that I have not yet been able to persuade Parliament to approve a deal,” said May.
The new Halloween departure date was agreed after a six-hour long meeting of leaders.
European Council President, Donald Tusk said: “This extension is as flexible as I expected and a little bit shorter than I expected but it is still enough to find the best possible solution,
“Please do not waste this time.”
- Former US Marine arrested after North Korean embassy attacked in Spain - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 14:39
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06