IF you thought airport car parks were pricey, be grateful you’re not parking a plane.
A Russian Antonov An-124 is being charged €1,000 a day to stay at the Alicante-Elche airport on the Costa Blanca.
The Volga-Dnepr Airlines cargo plane, which arrived from the Ivory Coast on March 28, has already filled Spanish airport operator AENA’s pockets to the tune of €20,000.
The plane, which is charged according to size and length of stay, still does not have a new journey planned, according to airport sources.
The massive aeroplane is usually used to move large loads because it has a capacity of up to 150 tonnes, and has come to Alicante-Elche to transport boats and helicopters on other occasions—but on February 19 the stop was only for a few hours.
- WATCH: Videos pour in as ‘gota fria’ drenches Javea and Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:52
- Marina Alta on RED ALERT as heavy rains cause flash floods along Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:05
- ‘Level 1 emergency’ declared as largest Easter storm in 73 years hits the Costa Blanca - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- Health Agency issues warning that Dutch cookies containing CANNABIS are being accidentally sold to children across Spain - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- Diver resuscitated after suffering heart attack off coast from Javea on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 00:18
- BREAKING: Foreign Office issues warning to Brits as strike set to hit EVERY Spanish airport this Easter - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:24
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08