TOURISM companies have slammed Government proposals to cap visitor numbers at some of Spain’s most popular beaches.
New legislation in Galicia has placed limits on tourism to the islands of Ons, Cies, Salvora and Cortegada.
A group of ship owners and hoteliers have labelled the plans ‘unjustified’ and claimed that daily limit on tourist numbers is a ‘grave error’.
“These are periods of great tourist relevance and this is a decision that did not take into account the maritime transport and hospitality sector, nor their claims,” the group said in a statement.
But the Minister of Environment of Galicia, Angeles Vazquez hit back at those criticizing the new plans.
“Just as to enter a cathedral and a museum we have quotas, this is also a museum, it is natural heritage and we would be irresponsible if we did the opposite of what they send us,” he said.
Agreed in December, the proposals limit visitors to Ons to just 1,300 people per day during the high season and 450 at other times.
The limit for Cies has been set at 1,800 and 450 at other times, while Salvora and Cortegada are limited to just 450 and 250 respectively.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35