A WEALTHY town has seen the far-right party Vox triumph in Spain’s general election despite the fact it has more expat residents than Spaniards.
Benahavis, near Marbella, has the highest GDP in Malaga and is home to more than 5,000 foreign residents including Brits, Germans and Norwegians.
Vox was narrowly elected in ahead of the governing Popular Party, with the right-wing party securing 364 votes to their conservative rival’s 356.
“We understand that the disenchantment of the traditional voter of the PP has been felt also in Benahavis, until now the bastion of the Popular Party,
“Hard working people have made Benahavis an enclave of enormous tourist interest, they are people who share our message. It is towns like Benahavis that make Spain great,” said Jose Enrique Lara, the President of Vox in Malaga.
According to the statistics of the Ministry of Finance the average disposable income in Benahavis was €23,127, the tenth highest in Andalucia.
Now the town has become something of a right-wing bastion with neighbouring Marbella and Estepona both relegating Vox to fourth place.
Enrique Lara has put his party’s success down to the fact Benahavis is a town ‘that gets up early.’
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00