THE number of blue flag beaches on the Costa del Sol has decreased by a third.
From Torrox in the east to Casares in the west, Spain’s most southern coast now has just 17 blue flag sand strips (see below for the winners and losers).
That is compared to 25 last year, marking a 32% decrease in the number of areas awarded the prestigious certification.
It also means that a third of Andalucia’s 18 blue flag losers are located in Malaga, while the region comprises over half of the national reduction of 28.
Beaches that have lost blue flags
MANILVA (1 beach)
La Rada and El Padron
Los Boliches and Fuengirola
RINCON DE LA VICTORIA (1)
Torre de Benagalbon
Despite the 4% fewer blue flag sites than in 2018, Spain still has 669, putting it top worldwide of the list compiled by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE).
The Association of Environmental and Consumer Education has blamed illegal building, including some beach bars, for the shocking news.
Blue flag beaches in Malaga 2019
TORROX (1 beach)
Benajarafe, Torre del Mar and La Caleta Paseo
Fuente de la Salud and Torrebermeja-Sta.Ana
La Cala – Torreon; El Bombo and Calahonda I (Royal Beach – La Luna)
Casablanca, El Faro and San Pedro de Alcantara (Guadalmina)
El Cristo and Arroyo Vaquero
Secretary of State for Tourism, Isabel Oliver, claimed the smaller number of blue flags set to fly on Spanish beaches from June, ‘is not a drama’.
She added: “The requirements are very demanding and show concern for the preservation and care of these beaches.
“The objective is for Spain to be recognized as a great destination for responsible tourism by both visitors and residents.”
Andalucia lost more blue flags for its beaches than any other Spanish region and now has 98, behind Valencia with 150, Catalunya (120) and Galicia (119).
Quality, safety, environmental education, services and management, are the criteria used by the FEE to judge beaches.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33