A SPANISH supermarket has provoked a national argument after denying entry to a man one minute before closing time, but then apologising.
The man, known as Telito, tried to enter an Alcampo store at 21:59, but was shocked to be turned away, as it was due to shut at 22:00.
He then wrote about his experience, at the shop in Madrid, online, where he vowed he would ‘never return’ to Alcampo.
Following the incident, which happened last week, he added: “I never imagined they would be so unmotivated to sell.”
But the supermarket giant has since issued an apology, surprising many, as people are often turned away from businesses just before closing time.
“Hello Telito, we apologise for this situation that you mention to us, it has been an error and we are very sorry for the inconvenience that may have been caused,” a statement from the retailer read.
It added: “We have sent the complaint to the store to prevent it from happening again.”
The events prompted a fierce debate online, with more people appearing to side with Alcampo.
One user wrote: “The client is not always right and in this case certainly NOT.
“You have all day to go shopping, so do not come at the last minute.
“Also, learn to plan your life. What’s so necessary to buy at 10:00 at night?”
Another added: “You have to be very s**tty to do that, but, the human being never ceases to amaze us.”
But others defended the customer, saying, “If Alcampo closes at 10 o’clock, for me, it means that you can enter until 10 o’clock.”
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36
- TRAVEL CHAOS: London Gatwick IT meltdown sees 12 flights cancelled as Spain passenger ‘trapped’ beyond gate - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 12:29
- REVEALED: Marbella Senior Masters lineup sees tennis legends set to battle it out on Costa del Sol THIS SUMMER - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31