A MAN has died of a heart attack while undergoing a hair transplant.
Rafael Bolado Marino, 39, went under the knife at a Spanish surgery, but died shortly after being administered an anaesthetic, which is issued ‘5,000 times a day’.
The Spaniard was rushed from the Dermitek clinic in Bilbao to the Basurto Hospital and then to the Valdecilla hospital in his native Cantabria.
But doctors could not save him, and the hair transplant surgeon said it is ‘not known if the heart attack was caused by the anaesthetic or not’.
The clinic, which has been giving men their hairlines back for over five years, said it was ‘affected’ by the tragedy.
It added that it had given Rafael’s family all ‘the support they have been able to’.
It is unknown if a criminal investigation is underway, but there have been calls for a probe, including from Maria del Carmen Adan.
“They sell this service as innocuous, but perhaps it is misleading advertising, without explaining the serious adverse effects that can happen,” the representative of the Association of the Patient Advocate said.
She added that a crime could have occurred, ‘due to an alleged negligence in the amount of anesthesia, or due to a lack of control in the preoperative period’.
Rafael’s funeral has now been held and dozens of people have paid their respects to him online as well.
The Dermitek clinic counts Ismael Urzaiz, the former Athletic Bilbao forward, among its thousands of patients.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33