A PUB in Benidorm has been slammed for asking ‘Wanna rent a midget??’ on its street-front sign.
Chaplins Bar, a street away from Benidorm’s Levante beach, advertises the rental of midgets for hen parties and stag dos as entertainment on a night out.
But the popular boozer has now been accused of infringing upon ‘human rights’ and even a ‘hate crime’ against the disabled.
“The pub may have incurred violations of labour standards, but there is also a possible hate crime based on disability,” Felipe Orviz, the lawyer for the Alpe Achondroplasia Foundation, which supports dwarves, said.
“We will now ask the City of Benidorm to withdraw its license, and ask the new specialised prosecutor in disability law.”
Orviz added that the term ‘rent’ was ‘denigrating’ to midgets and dwarfs, who suffer a medical condition known as achondroplasia.
Social media users slammed the bar’s advertisement as ‘disgusting’ and ‘shameful’.
One user commented: “The FK It BAR in Benidorm also do this for €200 per night.
“I doubt if the poor guy even gets minimum wage from it. I have seen the poor guy with a dog lead and dog collar on. Shameful.”
Other, however, rushed to the bar’s defence, saying the midget earned €200 ‘per hour’ and that it was a ‘job opportunity’.
The bar were unavailable for comment.
- REVEALED: Amy Winehouse wrote three songs from Back to Black while holidaying in Alicante - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 12:25
- HE’S THE DADDY: Ex-lover of Spain’s Julio Iglesias speaks out after singer revealed as FATHER of her child - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 11:51
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30