Activists in Marbella have denounced plans for a beach bar at El Pinillo, which they claim could damage local ecology.
Members of the IU group, who have ‘major concern’ for the nearby sand dunes, blasted plans for the 270-square-metre site.
Protestors donned t-shirts to spell the slogan ‘save the dunes’ as they stood on the section of beach earmarked for the chiringuito.
Miguel Diaz, the group’s mayoral candidate for Marbella also claimed the blueprints for the beach bar are ‘suspicious’.
He pointed out that the text explaining the project has set aside urban land at El Cable beach and not at El Pinillo.
“The company behind the bar is also showing a great breach of legality, as it has abused the terms of its occupation,” the ex-delegate for Environment of Marbella added.
It comes just a week after Marbella lost a blue flag at nearby Playa de Cabopino, which also has a dune environment, and a designated nudist area.
The illegal building and overdevelopment of beach bars, were cited as reasons for the 32% decrease in blue flags doled out in Andalucia this year.
The news follows Marbella chef Dani Garcia facing down intense backlash over his ‘Bibo Tarifa beach club’, which it is claimed threatens species such as the osprey.
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27