THE Body of a British diver has been found 170ft underwater off the coast of Murcia.
Phillip Evans, 69, got separated from his diving group in the Islas Hormigas marine reserve last Thursday, May 23.
His body was recovered after a two-day search in which a Spanish coastguard vessel used a remote-operated vehicle to scour the seafloor.
“The body of the British diver who disappeared on Thursday has been located 170 feet underwater in the Hormigas Islands area,” said Francisco Jimenez, a regional government official.
“We regret this tragic outcome.”
A Murcia judge will now investigate the circumstances that led to the diver’s death.
Evans, from Balmedie, in Aberdeenshire, was ex-Armed Forces and an experienced diver.
A statement from his family on social media said: “We are devastated to let you all know Phillip went diving and didn’t come home.
“He died doing something he loved.”
Evans was a regular visitor to Murcia, using the Club de Buceo Islas Hormigas many times over the last few years.
On social media he praised them as the ‘friendliest club in the area’.
Evans was also a strong campaigner fighting against marine plastic waste, throwing his weight behind efforts to ban single-use plastic cutlery and coffee cups, among others.
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43
- WATCH: Woman leaps into sea as ‘Kontiki II’ ferry boat nearly smashes into 154-metre Balearia behemoth between Ibiza and Formentera - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:11
- Man starved dog to avoid ‘picking up its poo’ arrested on the Costa Blanca - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 18:45
- Spanish bar bills customer €10 for ‘taking the piss’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 15:08