A BRITISH conman on the run for 15 years has been cuffed on the Costa del Sol.
Christopher Woodhead, 66, from Huddersfield preyed on the vulnerable and elderly in construction scams totalling €1.6 million.
After being detained by police in San Pedro, the Yorkshireman now faces a six-year prison sentence for the Leeds-based crimes.
The judge in the case labelled him a ‘amoral fraudster’ as he was found guilty of swindling a dozen clients, by taking on building jobs, which he didn’t carry out.
CW, as he was referred to by Spanish cops, was thought to have moved to Canada or Spain, after first disappearing in 2004 with the money he had extracted from firms.
A Policia Nacional spokesperson said: “CW was officially made a wanted man in 2008 and is said to have committed a dozen crimes of fraud in the UK while he was in charge of several firms which sold products to other construction companies.
“The fraud consisted of charging for labour services and not carrying them out.
“He also diverted cash to another company through the fictitious supply of materials and creation of fraudulent invoices.
“He used the income he obtained for his own benefit, on things like holidays and maintenance payments to his ex-wife.”
Woodhead was apprehended on Tuesday on Calle Manuel Cantos in San Pedro.
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27