THE success of the Brexit party at the European elections has left Gibraltar between a rock and a hard place.
Gibraltar shares MEPs with the south west of England and a number of them visited the Rock before the unexpected election.
Ann Widdecombe, James Glancy and Christina Jordan will all now accompany Nigel Farage in the European Parliament in his endless tirade against the EU.
However, Liberal Democrats Caroline Voaden and Martin Horwood and Green Molly Scott Cato also won seats, ensuring British pro-European voices would also be heard in Brussels.
Deputy Chief Minister Joseph Garcia reminded the MEPs we were at ‘at a pivotal time in the history of our shared relationship with the EU’.
“The challenges that lie ahead are plenty,” he added.
Despite supporting the Tories in their quest to enact Brexit, the Gibraltar Government did a big U-turn in the new year.
“The policy of the Government is that it is in our best interests to remain in the EU,” it said clearly after the results were announced.
- ‘The closure of the border shaped us as a people,’ says Deputy Chief Minister, comparing historic event to Brexit - 9 Jun, 2019 @ 15:28
- Challenges ahead as Brexit turmoil looms for Gibraltar, says Deputy chief minister - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 08:57
- Robbie Williams ‘to join’ Take That performance at Gibraltar Calling festival - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:30
- Tickets for opera star Andrea Bocelli concert in Gibraltar sell out in just two days - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Nearly 400 new affordable homes to be built at North Mole in Gibraltar - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 19:33
- Lib Dem leader Vince Cable issues stark Brexit warning for Gibraltar in EXCLUSIVE Olive Press interview - 26 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- Vince Cable says Brexit will ‘really hurt’ Gibraltar while Rachel Johnson calls for Article 50 to be revoked - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- WATCH: Claims of cover-up after year-old footage leaks of near fatal disaster at Gibraltar’s dry dock - 14 May, 2019 @ 16:08
- Huge apartment block will be one of Gibraltar’s tallest buildings and sit at new entrance to the Rock - 28 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- SIR JOE BOSSANO: Spain’s far-right Vox party spells trouble for Gibraltar border - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 11:30