A CAVE in Javea will be the first beach in the Valencian Community to have its access restricted this summer.
Cova Tallada, in the Montgo National Park, will from June 15 until September 30 be open to just 482 visitors per day.
Visitor numbers will further be limited to just 71 at any one time in the cave.
Reservations will be made through the Montgo National Park website, confirmed a statement from the Generalitat Valenciana.
Each reservation will also be required 10 days before the intended visit.
The Generalitat statement blamed the increasing pressure of tourism on the ‘environment’ and ‘risk of accidents’ for the unprecedented move.
Despite involvement by Denia and Javea municipal governments, plans are stalling over who will police the site.
Both town halls have said they cannot send Policia Local to the cave during summer months, according to Spanish press.
The 482 person limit includes 112 visitors by kayak, if the rules can be enforced.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51