La Liga has been fined after the league’s official phone app was discovered to have eavesdropped on illegal match broadcasts.
Recordings would be secretly compiled and then cross checked using the devices’ geolocation to determine if the venue hadn’t paid to screen the game.
The Spanish data protection agency has hit La Liga with a €250,000 fine and called the app a ‘very serious breach of transparency.’
The official match-following app has been downloaded by more than 4 million fans, who were not told it could remotely activate their device’s microphone.
The fine has been appealed by La Liga who have argued the technology was only designed to capture a ‘acoustic fingerprint.’
The hidden function was installed in the app to combat piracy, which costs the league around €400 million a year, according to La Liga.
However, the organisation has confirmed the eavesdropping function will be removed from the app at the end of the current La Liga season.
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00