ANDALUCIA has received over 4,000 asylum applications so far in 2019.
Data for the first five months of this year reveals that there were 4,298 applicants in Spain’s southernmost region.
The country as a whole meanwhile saw 46,596 asylum applications so far this year.
Topping the list were Venezuelans, with 16,846 applications to Spain, according to the Ministry of the Interior.
That is compared to the 20,015 from the South American country who sought protection in Spain during the same period in 2018.
- Spain urges Venezuela to avoid bloodshed amidst coup reports
- Venezuelan ex-spy chief fights extradition from Spain to US
- GREEN LIGHT: Spain and UK support new Venezuela leader as political crisis continues
It comes as 4 million people have fled the country in total since 2015, in a bid to escape the economic and humanitarian crisis, according to the United Nations.
This was represented in the asylum data, as applications to Spain increased by 603% from 596 in 2015 to 4,195 in 2016.
Columbian asylum applications also increased this year to 10,122 from 8,811 in 2018, meaning the country has the second highest number in Spain.
Other South and Central American countries follow in third, fourth and fifth: Nicaragua (2,698), Honduras (2,666) and El Salvador (2,078).
Of Spain’s total of 46,596 asylum applications, 25,602 are men and 20,994 are women.
The most represented age group among applicants is 18-34 years old (23,729) and the second most is 35-64 years old (13,545).
Andalucia had the third most asylum applications so far this year after Madrid with 20,395 and Catalunya with 6,059.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08