SPAIN has insisted the UK enter into negotiations to put an end to the ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at a UN committee hearing.
The UN Decolonisation Committee has heard from Spanish representative Agustin Santos Maraver, who also accused London of not fulfilling its obligations with respect to Gibraltar.
On previous occasions, the Spanish UN envoy has described the Gibraltar issue as an ‘anachronistic situation’ and insisted that it is ‘the only colony’ on the European continent.
“Spain calls for negotiations with the United Kingdom to put an end to this colonial situation, which will take into account the interests of the population of the Territory, and today we reiterate our call to the United Kingdom to do so,” argued Santos.
Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo has also spoken before the committee and has insisted Gibraltar be withdrawn from the list of colonised territories.
The Gibraltarian authorities have long tried unsuccessfully to get the committee to drop the issue and Picardo has even invited a UN delegation to visit the Rock.
Picardo said: “Come and see our house for yourselves and that justice is done and that we are finally eliminated from your list.”
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00
- OPINION: Vulnerable people being robbed in hospital beds on the Costa del Sol is an absolute disgrace - 6 Jul, 2019 @ 12:30
- Iran accuses UK of ‘piracy’ over oil tanker seized in Gibraltar and summons ambassador to Tehran - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 10:28
- Royal Marines in Gibraltar detain oil tanker on way to Syria - 4 Jul, 2019 @ 09:50
- North Korea hit squad hunt US vet behind raid on embassy in Spain - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 12:58