The pistol, which he is thought to have shot himself with, is in France today, where it is expected to sell for €45,000.
In July 1890, experts believe that the Dutch post-impressionist painter ended his own life with the weapon.
He died in a field near the French town of Auvers-sur-Oise, where the revolver was located some 70 years later.
The artist didn’t die for another 30 hours once wounding himself, before uttering his last words, ‘the sadness will last forever’, according to his brother Theo.
It comes as the world’s most visited multimedia exhibition, displaying Van Gogh’s work, has been touring southern Spain.
Using technology from SENSORY4™, the exhibit allows fans of the Dutch painter to immerse themselves in paintings, such as The Starry Night, on six-metre-high screens.
After passing through Malaga, Sevilla, Alicante and Madrid it will be in Valencia from July 27 to October 20.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08