LAST October, the village of Cortes de la Frontera in Andalucia changed forever when the biggest flood in a hundred years submerged the whole valley, changing the landscape and the lives of the inhabitants forever.
It wasn’t a coincidence that just two days before, a group of 10 people from all over Europe moved into the river-side property right beside the
river Guadiaro in the lower parts of the town.
Initiated by Master Choy, a Tai Chi Master who has 45 years of experience in
teaching this art and discipline for health and happiness (including two decades as the director of the Rainbow Tai chi school in Devon, UK), building a Happilization Center by the river has been a dream and a vision he held dearly and patiently his whole life.
Tai chi literally means the river of infinite energy, so when the river came to visit the freshly born Happilization Center during the floods, going up to 1m40 in height inside the house, the astonished Tai Chi students weren’t aware that this was going to become one of the most beautiful gifts and lessons they would encounter in their studies…
Birth of the Happilization Centre
Working their way back to rebuild the centre after the floods seemed at first
But with the help of the principles and the tools they learned in Tai Chi, they were able to throw all their Heart, Body, Mind and Spirit into this dream and with lightness, soft and hard work, the center came out of the ground in small consistent steps.
A lot of loving energy has been put into cleaning and rebuilding the house and new accommodations, recreating a giant circular garden to grow organic vegetables, fruits and herbs of 30 different species, designing a beach alongside of the river, digging and creating a pond where koi fishes and toads live in harmony… so much has been achieved!
Even working hand-in-hand with the neighbours to repair the road, as it is so important in tai chi to look at ‘the way’ to the goal!
It’s under the smiling sun of July that the phoenix has risen from the ashes.
Thanks to the courage and perseverance of the whole group, the center is ready to welcome everyone who wants to learn life changing lessons, grow their happiness and become healthier!
The river is now flowing peacefully and the fishes, otters, turtles and kingfishers come to say ‘hi’ to the people who slow down enough to connect with them.
The gifts of the Guadiaro river
Have you ever slowed down enough to really discover what the river is, beyond the image you have of it?
The river teaches us how to flow in harmony with all the aspects of our lives.
Any negative can be transformed into positive creative solutions just like the students discovered when they planted seeds of hope in the renewed soil after the flood to grow organic vegetables, including rainbow sweetcorn and big smiling potimarrons!
Happiness is not far away, it is in the flow of the streams of joy that is inside all of us.
Our body is made of more than 70% of water and the river of tai chi teaches us that this effortless happiness cleanses our worries and blockages and bring us back where we feel like a fish in water : home in the sea of chi (energy).
“I have gained a new relationship with the river. Floating in the river was beautiful… I felt it took away all my hardness and melted into softness,” tells Linda.
“I felt so held, so loved…which transformed me completely! It took away all my pains and I felt this stream of energy.”
Join Summer School!
This summer from July 24 to August 13, The Center hosts the summer school consisting of two stand-alone weeks of unique lessons focusing on learning Tai Chi Chi Kung and letting go of stress, relax and find balance and happiness in daily life, all that by the river and also IN the river!
Discover more on how to join this adventure:
Where can you find us?
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14