EUROPE’S largest aquarium with 45,000 animals has been evacuated after a fire broke out at the Oceanografic de Valencia.
The blaze reportedly started at 10.30am today when 1,400 people were inside.
No animals were evacuated, as the blaze reportedly took place at the entrance to the Oceans hall
Tom Parker, 38, on holiday in the city with his family, said the fire was ‘pretty bad’.
“We started to queue and looked up and saw massive plumes of black smoke and then the fire,” he told the Mirror Online.
“There was a strong smell of plastic in the air.”
“But the evacuation was calm, the authorities handled things well.”
The fire was reportedly extinguished within 20 minutes.
One of the workers told Las Provincias: “We are waiting for what the police say, and when they can assure of us of security, we will enter.
“They asked for calm, especially for the children who were inside. We are very happy, even surprised, about how well the operation was carried out.”
Sources from the Oceanografic have said that no animals were harmed.
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06