THE Government has seized General Franco’s summer palace, telling the dead dictator’s family its sale was ‘fraudulent’.
Pazo de Meiras in Galicia, valued at €5 million, was allegedly bought for Franco from the forced donations of local people during the Spanish Civil War.
- BOLLOCKS: Brit historian slams Spain’s supreme court after delays to Franco reburial
- Secret grave of Franco victims discovered in Madrid cemetery
- Naked effigies of Trump, Hitler, Stalin and Franco torched in Valencia’s Las Fallas festival
But the stunning 19th century property has now been claimed by the Ministry of Justice, which said it has a ‘solid argument, documents and legal position to defend public ownership’.
Legal action has been launched against Franco’s relatives, over the illegal sale of the property to a pro-Franco organisation in 1938, and then on to Franco in 1941.
However the move has been blasted by Franco’s grandson Francis Franco, who labelled it part of a ‘strategy of retaliation’ by Spain’s socialist government.
It comes as Pedro Sanchez’s PSOE administration has pushed on with a plan to exhume the remains of the Fascist dictator.
He is currently buried in a tomb in the Valley of the Fallen, a memorial on the outskirts of Madrid to victims from both sides of the Civil War.
The Spanish Supreme court blocked his exhumation, just days before it was planned for June 10.
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36