23 Jan, 2024 @ 12:33
1 min read

Journalist, 91, who made affair claims against Queen Letizia is sacked by leading newspaper in Spain

|Journalist Jaime Peñafiel
King Felipe VI of Spain and Queen Letizia of Spain meet the "Princesa De Girona" Foundation at The Royal Palace on December 13, 2023 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Oscar Gonzalez/Sipa USA) (Photo by Oscar Gonzalez/Sipa USA) *** Local Caption *** 50127010

SPAIN’S second-biggest newspaper El Mundo has sacked one of its journalists, Jaime Peñafiel, after he made a series of extraordinary claims about the private life of Queen Letizia. The 91-year-old, who worked for the daily for two decades as a columnist, insisted after his firing that he ‘didn’t regret it’. 

Peñafiel published a book late last year called Letizia & I, much of which was based on allegations made by Letizia’s former brother-in-law, Jaime del Burgo.

Del Burgo has made a series of claims – both in the book and on social media – that he was still in a relationship with Letizia, a former television journalist, after she had married King Felipe back in 2004. 

King Felipe VI of Spain and Queen Letizia. (Photo by Oscar Gonzalez/Sipa USA)

More recently, Peñafiel gave a controversial interview that was broadcast via YouTube in which he claimed that Letizia had fertility problems, and that her sister Erika Ortiz – who died in circumstances suspected by many to have been a suicide back in February 2007 – donated her eggs to the queen so that she could bear children. 

In the YouTube interview, Peñafiel went so far as to blame Ortiz’s suicide on Letizia banning her sister from seeing her children, Leonor and Sofia. 

Journalist Jaime Peñafiel
Journalist Jaime Peñafiel in a file photo. Cordon Press

This claim cannot be true, however, given that Sofia was not born until April 2007, several months after Ortiz’s death. 

According to press reports, El Mundo sacked Peñafiel as a columnist due to a reorganisation and budget restraints, but Peñafiel went on the record to say that it was due to his comments about the Spanish queen. 

“It was all about the statements on Letizia and the book,” he told Semana  magazine. “I have no regrets, I am what I am and that’s the end of it.” 

Read more:

Simon Hunter

Simon Hunter has been living in Madrid since the year 2000 and has worked as a journalist and translator practically since he arrived. For 16 years he was at the English Edition of Spanish daily EL PAÍS, editing the site from 2014 to 2022, and is currently one of the Spain reporters at The Times. He is also a voice actor, and can be heard telling passengers to "mind the gap" on Spain's AVLO high-speed trains.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

Spain to investigate 17 state museum collections for ‘links to colonialism’: Plan is branded ‘woke’ by opposition leaders

|
Next Story

Film about the corruption in Marbella during the early 2000s storms the Box Office in Spain

Latest from Lead

Go toTop

More From The Olive Press

Benidorm brothel that exploited women round-the-clock is raided by police with four victims rescued

Benidorm brothel exploited vulnerable women round-the-clock with four victims rescued by police

FOUR women have been rescued by the Policia Nacional in
Spain's top supermarket Mercadona announces €150m in food price cuts including olive oil

Spain’s top supermarket Mercadona announces €150m in food price cuts including olive oil

SPAIN’S leading supermarket in terms of market share- Mercadona- says