THE world’s oldest mother has died in Andalucia, aged 69.
Maria Carmen del Bousada, who lived in Puerto de Santa Maria near Cadiz, gave birth to twins in 2006 at the age of 67.
Bousada became pregnant after lying about her age and undergoing IVF treatment in the United States.
The legal age for a single woman is 55, yet Bousada was 67 at the time.
Bousada passed away on Saturday after losing her battle against breast cancer, diagnosed shortly after giving birth.
Spanish social services have stated that the twins will not be taken into custody and will be cared for by their godfather, a nephew of Bousada.
Bousada lived in an apartment in the town and was regarded as a discreet woman, often seen walking her children, Pau and Christian, to a nearby nursery.
“The twins will not be taken into custody and will be cared for by their godfather”.
After giving birth to the twins, Bousada expressed her hope to see her grandchildren after her own mother lived to the age of 101.
Bousada’s age ignited debate over fertility treatment and motherhood late in life; her death now looks set to raise questions over the ethics of elderly mothers.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00