THE world’s oldest mother has died in Andalucia, aged 69.
Maria Carmen del Bousada, who lived in Puerto de Santa Maria near Cadiz, gave birth to twins in 2006 at the age of 67.
Bousada became pregnant after lying about her age and undergoing IVF treatment in the United States.
The legal age for a single woman is 55, yet Bousada was 67 at the time.
Bousada passed away on Saturday after losing her battle against breast cancer, diagnosed shortly after giving birth.
Spanish social services have stated that the twins will not be taken into custody and will be cared for by their godfather, a nephew of Bousada.
Bousada lived in an apartment in the town and was regarded as a discreet woman, often seen walking her children, Pau and Christian, to a nearby nursery.
“The twins will not be taken into custody and will be cared for by their godfather”.
After giving birth to the twins, Bousada expressed her hope to see her grandchildren after her own mother lived to the age of 101.
Bousada’s age ignited debate over fertility treatment and motherhood late in life; her death now looks set to raise questions over the ethics of elderly mothers.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00