THE only ripe cherries available in the world are causing a retail war in Britain.
Tesco and Harrods are battling over Oscar Ortiz’s ‘Glamour’ cherries from Lleida, Catalonia, the only place where cherries are grown at this time of year.
But while Tesco has bought exclusive UK rights to the cherries and is selling them at 4.30 euros a punnet (or 3 centimes a cherry), Harrods has bought the cherries through an expensive French middleman.
The end result being the cherries costing 100 times the price, or approximately three euros a cherry.
The outrageous prices are caused by the seasonal gap between the end of March and the middle of April when traditionally, cherries cannot be grown.
However, through heavy investment and careful temperature monitoring, Ortiz has managed to achieve the rare feat of producing ripe cherries all year round.
“I get 40 to 50 calls a day from people who want to buy my cherries”
And by filling this gap in the market he has created an incredibly high demand.
“I get 40 to 50 calls a day from people who want to buy my cherries,” Ortiz explained.
Some 30 per cent of the prized crop will stay in Spain, so get your hands on them fast.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00