A MUSLIM schoolgirl has been suspended for wearing an Islamic headscarf to school.
Najwa Malha, 16, was banned from the Camilo Jose Cela school, near Madrid, for violating the dress code.
Malha, born in Spain to Moroccan immigrants, began wearing a hijab two months ago to express her religious beliefs.
“I feel totally discriminated against”
The school’s decision has divided opinion across Spain and led to widespread debate.
It is believed that Malha’s classmates support her decision, but regional authorities have backed the school’s stance.
“I feel totally discriminated against,” Malha said.
However, her father, Mohammed, revealed that he didn’t agree with his daughter’s decision to begin wearing the headscarf.
“I asked her to reconsider because I figured it would cause her problems,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Association of Moroccan Workers and Immigrants criticised the state school.
“For the past several weeks Najwa Malha could not go to her school, which is contrary to her right to a basic education guaranteed by the constitution,” said the association’s head, Kamal Ramoini.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00