A MUSLIM schoolgirl has been suspended for wearing an Islamic headscarf to school.
Najwa Malha, 16, was banned from the Camilo Jose Cela school, near Madrid, for violating the dress code.
Malha, born in Spain to Moroccan immigrants, began wearing a hijab two months ago to express her religious beliefs.
“I feel totally discriminated against”
The school’s decision has divided opinion across Spain and led to widespread debate.
It is believed that Malha’s classmates support her decision, but regional authorities have backed the school’s stance.
“I feel totally discriminated against,” Malha said.
However, her father, Mohammed, revealed that he didn’t agree with his daughter’s decision to begin wearing the headscarf.
“I asked her to reconsider because I figured it would cause her problems,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Association of Moroccan Workers and Immigrants criticised the state school.
“For the past several weeks Najwa Malha could not go to her school, which is contrary to her right to a basic education guaranteed by the constitution,” said the association’s head, Kamal Ramoini.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00