THE only ripe cherries available in the world are causing a retail war in Britain.
Tesco and Harrods are battling over Oscar Ortiz’s ‘Glamour’ cherries from Lleida, Catalonia, the only place where cherries are grown at this time of year.
But while Tesco has bought exclusive UK rights to the cherries and is selling them at 4.30 euros a punnet (or 3 centimes a cherry), Harrods has bought the cherries through an expensive French middleman.
The end result being the cherries costing 100 times the price, or approximately three euros a cherry.
The outrageous prices are caused by the seasonal gap between the end of March and the middle of April when traditionally, cherries cannot be grown.
However, through heavy investment and careful temperature monitoring, Ortiz has managed to achieve the rare feat of producing ripe cherries all year round.
“I get 40 to 50 calls a day from people who want to buy my cherries”
And by filling this gap in the market he has created an incredibly high demand.
“I get 40 to 50 calls a day from people who want to buy my cherries,” Ortiz explained.
Some 30 per cent of the prized crop will stay in Spain, so get your hands on them fast.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00