By Nicola Cowell
MYSTERY surrounds whether David Cameron is also in Andalucia, after reports that he is on holiday here in Ronda.
The British Prime Minister is reportedly taking time out from number 10 for a relaxing five-day break in his favourite mountain retreat this week.
Despite telling Spanish Premier José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero he would have to stop visiting since becoming Prime Minister in May, Cameron is apparently staying just outside Ronda, although his exact whereabouts remain a mystery.
Ronda has long been a popular holiday destination for Cameron, who in previous years has managed to enjoy his breaks here virtually unnoticed.
Two years ago we reported exclusively that the Prime Minister had stayed at the hotel Fuente de la Higuera and had been horse-riding and walking around the area.
Paul Darwent, owner of Bar Allioli in Jimera de Libar, met the PM in 2008 when he visited his bar while walking along the famous Mr Henderson’s Railway.
“I have heard he is staying with friends in Gaucin, but it’s all very discreet,” he said.
“I’ve got my camera ready this time in case he does come into the bar again though.”
But, since landing the top parliamentary job this year, Cameron is expected to get much more attention this time and was forced to change his usual hotel of choice for security reasons.
Owner of nearby La Almuña Hotel in Gaucín, Diana Paget, said everyone was staying very tight-lipped about whether he is here or not.
“I think he should be left alone to enjoy his holiday,” she said.
“Maybe he and Obama came together.”
While Cameron is managing to slip under the radar as much as possible, the visit by the Obamas this week is much more high profile and will generate an estimated 800million euros in revenue for the region.
Meanwhile, Cameron’s right-hand man Nick Clegg has chosen to holiday in Olmedo, Valladolid, the hometown of his wife Miriam.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00