By Nicola Cowell
TWO British children have been killed in a horror smash in northern Spain.
Nine-month-old Amelle Khan-Chady and her two-year-old brother, Amir, were killed in the early hours of Sunday morning when their family car ploughed through the central reservation and down a grass verge of a motorway near Burgos.
The family, from London, were travelling to Morocco when the children’s mother, Gemma Mortello, 27, lost control of the Renault Espace after falling asleep at the wheel at 3am.
Siblings Leila, 6, and Zackariya, 5, were taken to hospital with their mother, after being cut free from the wreckage.
Father Jawad Khan-Chady, 33, was not injured in the accident, which happened on the AP1 motorway near Briviesca.
“It was the middle of the night and I fell asleep,” said Gemma Martello.
“You can imagine how I’m feeling now.”
This accident was just one of 52 accidents on Spanish roads so far this month, with 24 fatal accidents last weekend alone.
Seven of these deaths were due to cars careering off the road, seven were involved in crashes and ten were caused by driver distraction.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00