By Nicola Cowell
TWO British children have been killed in a horror smash in northern Spain.
Nine-month-old Amelle Khan-Chady and her two-year-old brother, Amir, were killed in the early hours of Sunday morning when their family car ploughed through the central reservation and down a grass verge of a motorway near Burgos.
The family, from London, were travelling to Morocco when the children’s mother, Gemma Mortello, 27, lost control of the Renault Espace after falling asleep at the wheel at 3am.
Siblings Leila, 6, and Zackariya, 5, were taken to hospital with their mother, after being cut free from the wreckage.
Father Jawad Khan-Chady, 33, was not injured in the accident, which happened on the AP1 motorway near Briviesca.
“It was the middle of the night and I fell asleep,” said Gemma Martello.
“You can imagine how I’m feeling now.”
This accident was just one of 52 accidents on Spanish roads so far this month, with 24 fatal accidents last weekend alone.
Seven of these deaths were due to cars careering off the road, seven were involved in crashes and ten were caused by driver distraction.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48