By Wendy Williams
UNEMPLOYED security guard, Pedro Lopez, certainly isn’t losing any sleep over his lack of work.
In fact he snored his way into first place at Spain’s first siesta championship.
The 62-year-old Ecuadorean managed to shut out the noise of the bustling Madrid shopping centre and snooze for 17 minutes.
And he got extra points for his incredibly loud snoring, which registered 70 decibels – roughly the equivalent of someone talking loudly – helping him to take home the 1000 euros prize.
Contestants were judged on their ability to sleep for as close to 20 minutes as possible, as well as the speed with which they nodded off, their snoring, any unusual sleeping positions and the appeal of their pyjamas.
A total of 360 people took part in the nine-day contest that has been organised by the National Association of Friends of the Siesta to promote the Spanish custom which some believe is in danger of dying out due to the modern pace of life.
Andres Lemes, spokesman for the association said: “People are so stressed out they can’t take siestas any more.”
But he added: “The mission of the championship is to spread the idea that the nap is something of ours that must be defended and practised, because it is healthy and good for everyone.”
Also, see our feature on the siesta: http://www.theolivepress.es/2010/08/26/waking-the-dead/
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00