By Wendy Williams
UNEMPLOYED security guard, Pedro Lopez, certainly isn’t losing any sleep over his lack of work.
In fact he snored his way into first place at Spain’s first siesta championship.
The 62-year-old Ecuadorean managed to shut out the noise of the bustling Madrid shopping centre and snooze for 17 minutes.
And he got extra points for his incredibly loud snoring, which registered 70 decibels – roughly the equivalent of someone talking loudly – helping him to take home the 1000 euros prize.
Contestants were judged on their ability to sleep for as close to 20 minutes as possible, as well as the speed with which they nodded off, their snoring, any unusual sleeping positions and the appeal of their pyjamas.
A total of 360 people took part in the nine-day contest that has been organised by the National Association of Friends of the Siesta to promote the Spanish custom which some believe is in danger of dying out due to the modern pace of life.
Andres Lemes, spokesman for the association said: “People are so stressed out they can’t take siestas any more.”
But he added: “The mission of the championship is to spread the idea that the nap is something of ours that must be defended and practised, because it is healthy and good for everyone.”
Also, see our feature on the siesta: https://www.theolivepress.es/2010/08/26/waking-the-dead/
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00