IT is one of the longest-standing expatriate clubs in Andalucia.
But, now a War of Independence has broken out within the normally staid corridors of the American Club.
It comes, after a big fall out in the Marbella chapter saw the setting up of a new arm under a breakaway group.
The 36-year-old chapter has been blown apart after elected president Ann McGeehan fell out with the rest of the Costa del Sol American Club.
With just a month to go before Thanksgiving on November 24, it means two seperate groups are claiming to represent Americans in Marbella.
In much confusion there will now be an American Club of Marbella and the Marbella Chapter of the American Club of the Costa del Sol.
According to Robert Sekler, stand in president of the Marbella Chapter, the club has been reconstituted.
He said: “There was a lot of wrangling and back-biting and it got quite nasty.
“But we have just had a luncheon with 40-something people and I think people are quite happy now.”
The New Yorker, who has been a member of the club for eight years ago, added: “I don’t know what’s with the other group but I am very happy our club still exists.
“I enjoy coming here and so does my wife.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00