IT is one of the longest-standing expatriate clubs in Andalucia.
But, now a War of Independence has broken out within the normally staid corridors of the American Club.
It comes, after a big fall out in the Marbella chapter saw the setting up of a new arm under a breakaway group.
The 36-year-old chapter has been blown apart after elected president Ann McGeehan fell out with the rest of the Costa del Sol American Club.
With just a month to go before Thanksgiving on November 24, it means two seperate groups are claiming to represent Americans in Marbella.
In much confusion there will now be an American Club of Marbella and the Marbella Chapter of the American Club of the Costa del Sol.
According to Robert Sekler, stand in president of the Marbella Chapter, the club has been reconstituted.
He said: “There was a lot of wrangling and back-biting and it got quite nasty.
“But we have just had a luncheon with 40-something people and I think people are quite happy now.”
The New Yorker, who has been a member of the club for eight years ago, added: “I don’t know what’s with the other group but I am very happy our club still exists.
“I enjoy coming here and so does my wife.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00