SITUATED some 2000kms south of Britain, it sometimes makes you wonder how Gibraltar could be British. And while one might question the legalities of it becoming British back in the 18th century, fast forward 300 years and British it most certainly is.
With English as the main language, red phone boxes and a giant Morrison’s supermarket for all your shopping needs, it couldn’t be further removed from its neighbour.
Then ask the 29,500 residents if they want to stay British (they were given full British citizenship in 1981) and the vast majority will say yes. in fact, in a 2002 referendum almost 99 per cent of Gibraftarians voted to remain British.
And that is where the argument should end.
While Spain may feel entitled to the enclave on a geographical basis, taking it back is impractical.
Aside from the fact that they would be uprooting families who have lived there for generations, what about the rights to exist of the new Balkan nations?
And then there is the debate over Ceuta and Melilla, which Spain is unlikely to return to Morocco.
Surely, it is about time Spain relinquished its claim, stayed out of the immediate waters and let bygones be bygones.
And for god’s sake drop the daft toll idea!
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33