SPAIN can yet again claim to have the best chefs in the world, after cleaning up in an international restaurant poll.
The country took two of the top three slots in the benchmark Best Restaurants in the World list, compiled by the UK’s Restaurant magazine.
Its pair El Cellar de Can Roca and Mugaritz both went up two places to scoop the honour.
They leapfrogged the UK’s Fat Duck to once again show the world that Spain knows how to cook.
In the annual poll, compiled with drinks giant San Pellegrino, Spain managed to get three restaurants in the top 10 and five in the Top 50.
It’s previous five-time winner El Bulli dropped out of the list, having shut down last year.
El Celler De Can Roca, based in Girona, run by the three Roca brothers, came second, while Mugaritz, in Errenteria, came third.
The San Sebastian based Arzak ranked eighth on the list, up one place from last year, while other Spanish restaurants Martin Berasategui came 29th and Asador Etxebarri came 50th.
Danish eatery Noma took top spot for the second year running, while Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck fell two places to fifth.
For the first time restaurants in Peru and Argentina made the list.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46