- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
IMF foresees two more years of recession in Spain
• IMF boss Christine Lagarde has
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
THE International Monetary Fund (IMF) has predicted two more years of recession, saying that Spain’s GDP will shrink by 1.7 per cent this year with a budget deficit of 6.8 per cent.
This despite previous IMF estimates that Spain’s economy would grow 1.1 per cent, and Spain’s own intention to achieve a budget deficit of just 4.4 per cent.
“Spain will respect the deficit target. Today that is 4.4 per cent, and Spain will respect that target,” said Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.
IMF boss Christine Lagarde said that without a ‘larger firewall’, both Italy and Spain could be forced into a solvency crisis.
Predictions are that Spain and Italy will remain in recession throughout 2012 and also in 2013 – although the GDP fall in 2013 is more promising , at 0.3 per cent.
The IMF also praised the “substantial” spending cuts and tax increases adopted by Spain’s new PP government in an effort to bring down the deficit.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]