A SPANISH animation is in the running for an Oscar after being nominated at this year’s awards.
Chico y Rita will be hoping to scoop the prestigious Best Animated Feature Film gong at the ceremony in Los Angeles on February 26.
The film – about a young piano player and a beautiful singer set in Cuba in 1948 – is produced by Javier Mariscal and previous Oscar winner Fernando Trueba.
Other Spanish representatives in the nominations include Alberto Iglesias for his Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy soundtrack, while Woody Allen’s Spanish-produced Midnight in Paris is up for four awards.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02