- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Sherif Ali returns to Spain
• Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali in the 1962 epic
EGYPT’s most famous export will be in Almeria next month to pick up a lifetime achievement award.
Omar Sharif will personally collect the accolade as Almeria Film Festival celebrates the 50th anniversary of perhaps his most famous flick of all, Lawrence of Arabia.
The 80-year-old star, who played Sherif Ali in the 1962 epic by David Lean, will appear at the Maestro Padilla auditorium in Almeria city on December 4.
Almeria’s culture boss Maria Vazquez said festival organisers wanted to honour the Oscar-winning film because it was largely filmed in the province.
Along with a film screening, there will be shooting locations tours, guest speakers and an exhibition displaying some of the props.
Sharif is also expected to unveil a statue of his Lawrence of Arabia co-star Peter O’Toole during his visit.
The festival runs from December 4-8 and boasts a programme of internationally produced short films.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…