EXCLUSIVE by Eloise Horsfield
A WOMAN whose dog nearly died after swallowing a fish hook is demanding a comprehensive beach clean-up programme.
Miranda Leslau, 42, was forced to pay €950 for an endoscopy after six-year-old JJ ingested the hook while walking near Cabopino beach.
The expat, from Mijas, wants to warn other dog owners after her vet said the accident is becoming increasingly common.
“At first I saw him running up and down and thought he had a jellyfish in his mouth,” said Leslau, originally from London, who owns a PR company.
“Then I saw the fish wire in his mouth, which had been cast aside by one of the many fishermen who do the same thing up and down the coast.
“He had gone for it because there was still a prawn attached to it.”
Leslau rushed JJ, a rescued Labrador-spaniel mix, to Urvet’s emergency vet surgery in Fuengirola where she was told the hook had entered his stomach.
“I was told if I had waited any longer the hook would have burst his gut and killed him,” she added.
She continued: “The Spanish need to create dog-friendly beaches, or the least they could do is clean them up.”
A spokesman for Urvet told the Olive Press it was ‘very common’ for dogs to swallow fish hooks.
“We had had the same thing happen just days before JJ and sometimes we have two like this in one day,” said vet Antonio Gruszczynski.