- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay
• Bodegas of Borja by Cecilia Gimenez
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Eloise Horsfield
ART by a Spanish pensioner who botched the restoration of a 19th century Ecce Homo painting has sold for over €1,000 on eBay.
Cecilia Gimenez, 80, from Borja in Aragon, made headlines all over the world when she attempted to ‘touch up’ the portrait, by Elias Garcia Martinez – with disastrous results.
This morning, a landscape of Borja painted by Gimenez fetched €1,080 on the bidding site eBay.
After Gimenez donated painting ‘Bodegas of Borja’ to church-owned radio station Cope in nearby Zaragoza, they decided to sell it online.
Within four hours nine bids had been made on the oil on canvas, pushing up its price to over €400.
The price was eventually pushed to over €1,080 with a total of 52 offers made, and bidding ending this morning.
All proceeds will go to the Catholic charity Caritas.
The paintings join a number of other enterprising sellers on the site who are offering t-shirts, badges and posters displaying Gimenez’s original ‘work’ (shown below alongside the original), which made Gimenez the subject of much media attention back in August.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]