- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Rape victim speaks four years after Magaluf attack
• Cheryl Maddison arriving at court to give evidence
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A BRAVE rape victim has had to face her attacker in court four years after he brutally raped and beat her, leaving her for dead, on holiday island Magaluf.
Cheryl Maddison, 25, moved to Majorca in 2008 to start a new life but just six days after she was brutally attacked.
Appearing at Palma provincial court in Majorca’s capital earlier this month, she told a panel of judges how Moroccan man, Mohammed Fadel El Anssari, followed her to her rented flat and sexually assaulted her on the balcony before taking her into the bedroom and raping her.
She said: “I lost consciousness. When I woke up I was by myself in the bedroom. There was blood coming out of my chest. That’s when he entered the room again.
“He put a knife into my neck and it went right in.
“I thought he wanted me to die. My breathing was making gurgling sounds because he had stabbed me in the lung. So I held my breath so he thought I wasn’t breathing any more.”
After her attacker left, Miss Maddison used a pillow to stem the bleeding from her multiple stab wounds and staggered downstairs for help.
After undergoing emergency surgery on wounds to her neck, throat, chest and back and spending several weeks in hospital, Miss Maddison returned to her home in County Durham.
Jaime Guasp, prosecuting, told how Anssari, a 31-year-old cocaine addict, had followed her back to her flat as she walked home alone after working a shift in a nearby bar.
He then carried out the attack using a 7 inch knife.
Anssari wasn’t caught until 2011 following another attack on a British woman and a lengthy undercover operation.
Police were able to track him down from DNA left on a cigarette butt in Miss Maddison’s flat.
Anssari, who has admitted the attack, was also once arrested for an alleged sexual assault on a minor in the Canary Islands where he was a regular visitor.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]