- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Anti-drilling group holds protest on Fuengirola coastline
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
CAMPAIGNERS in Fuengirola made a ‘human chain’ along the coastline as their battle against gas drilling continues.
The group, Citizens Against Oil Exploration on the Costa del Sol, gathered on the town’s promenade in protest of plans to drill for gas 9 km off the Costa del Sol.
Campaigners hope the series of protests will help expose concerns about the effect drilling could have on the Costa del Sol’s tourism industry, the leading source of employment in the area.
There have already been two protests held in the neighbouring town of Mijas, and a boat trip has been organised to take residents to the proposed drilling spot on February 17.
“I feel it’s getting bigger every time,” said campaigner Luis Sanchez Garcia before the protest.
“Many people have no idea about this, but if everyone gets together maybe we can make a change in the plan.
“We know it is still going to go ahead but I believe a citizens voice and opinion is always important.
“I would say that nearly everyone here on the coast is against this project, this is the Costa del Sol not the Costa del Gas!”
The cruise will start from Benalmadena Marina at 10.30 am and from Fuengirola Marina at 11.30 am.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]