- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
What YOU think of the the corruption scandal
February 7, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
February 7, 2013
Features • 2 Comments
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
We asked four Olive Press readers their opinion on the scandal engulfing Spain.
Paul O’Connell, 56, a photographer from Mijas, believes that the PM should resign, saying that as well as allegations of corruption, Spain’s leader had plunged the country into ‘economic madness’.
“In light of these corruption charges, he should definitely step down.Although the truth is, Spain has been rife with corruption for the last 30 years, so it is difficult to know who can replace him?”
Martin Nathan, 60, chairman of Talk Radio Europe, in Marbella, said Rajoy should remain innocent until proven guilty and people should refrain from forming an opinion until all the evidence had been heard.
He said: “It is simply too early to make a judgement one way or another. He is maintaining that the allegations are untrue and before it is proved you can’t assume the allegations are true.”
Jackie Cornwall, 55, from Vejer de la Frontera, said: “We’ve seen from similar scandals in the UK that corruption is endemic in political life, but in the context of today’s uncertainties, he should only resign if something is proved against him.
“That’s assuming there is now a proper legal process to establish the truth, which might be too large an assumption.”
Adam Neale, 43, a real estate agent from Estepona, said: “It is certainly not looking good for Rajoy that is for sure.
“Is he biding his time so he can make an orderly exit or are the allegations really true?
“Let’s hope we see some more excellent investigative journalism in Spain so that all these people can be properly exposed.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]