We asked four Olive Press readers their opinion on the scandal engulfing Spain.
Paul O’Connell, 56, a photographer from Mijas, believes that the PM should resign, saying that as well as allegations of corruption, Spain’s leader had plunged the country into ‘economic madness’.
“In light of these corruption charges, he should definitely step down.Although the truth is, Spain has been rife with corruption for the last 30 years, so it is difficult to know who can replace him?”
Martin Nathan, 60, chairman of Talk Radio Europe, in Marbella, said Rajoy should remain innocent until proven guilty and people should refrain from forming an opinion until all the evidence had been heard.
He said: “It is simply too early to make a judgement one way or another. He is maintaining that the allegations are untrue and before it is proved you can’t assume the allegations are true.”
Jackie Cornwall, 55, from Vejer de la Frontera, said: “We’ve seen from similar scandals in the UK that corruption is endemic in political life, but in the context of today’s uncertainties, he should only resign if something is proved against him.
“That’s assuming there is now a proper legal process to establish the truth, which might be too large an assumption.”
Adam Neale, 43, a real estate agent from Estepona, said: “It is certainly not looking good for Rajoy that is for sure.
“Is he biding his time so he can make an orderly exit or are the allegations really true?
“Let’s hope we see some more excellent investigative journalism in Spain so that all these people can be properly exposed.”
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36