- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Newspaper clipping reveals expat link to Spain’s oldest football club
• Sevilla FC president Jose Maria del Nido being presented with the historic article
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
AN antique newspaper cutting from Scotland has shed new light on the origins of Sevilla FC, Spain’s oldest football club.
The 123-year-old article from the Dundee Courier explains how a group of young British and Spanish men decided to form the club after a night in the pub, 15 years earlier than previously thought.
The article, dated March 17 1890, details the first draft of the club’s newly written Constitution along with the names of its founders.
“The page in question contains a treasure for the history of Spanish football since it is an article that describes in detail how the club was founded 15 years earlier than it was thought, thus being Spain’s oldest football club,” said Sevilla historian Javier Terenti.
“Everything suggests that that Saturday 25 January, a group of young British, mainly Scots, along with other young men of Spanish origin, met at one of the bars in the city and celebrated Burns Night with the excuse of founding the first football club in Spain,” he added.
Sevilla FC president, Jose Maria del Nido, has been presented with a copy of the page, while another has been sent to the Spanish Football Federation.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]