- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Havana good time!
• Legendary Cuban band, Buena Vista Social club, set to play in Marbella
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Frances Leate
LEGENDARY Cuban band, the Buena Vista Social Club are set to wow the crowds at Marbella’s Starlight Festival.
The Cubana heroes will play their very own brand of son, montuno, danzon and the popular cha cha cha music during their set on August 5.
The festival, which takes place from July 23 to August 24, will also feature Spanish stars such as Julio Iglesias, Alejandro Sanz, and Paco de Lucia.
There will be 14 concerts in total as well as a host of fashion shows, art exhibitions and food stalls at the popular event.
The festival, which is now in its second year, will include the Starlight Gala, hosted by Hollywood actor and Malaga resident, Antonio Banderas and his wife Melanie Griffiths.
Angeles Muñoz, mayor of Marbella, said the event will prove a huge boost for the economy in Marbella, attracting people from all over the world and creating many temporary jobs.
The Buena Vista Social Club, named after a popular members club in Havana frequented by musicians in the 1940’s and 50s, have sold out in many of the venues they have played in in recent years, including the Olympia in Paris, the Royal Albert Hall in London and the Liceo in Barcelona.
The performance will come 16 years after the band released their first studio album in 1997.
The band will be accompanied by special guests Omara Portuondo and Eliades Ochoa.
For tickets and more information visit: www.starlitefestival.com.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]