EL Galeon Andalucia, an exact replica of a 17th century Spanish galleon, arrived in Maryland and will remain in town until Monday, Sept. 2, for visits.
“It is the only ship from that era sailing today,” Air Show organiser, Lilley said.
A galleon is a class of Spanish merchant ship used mostly from the 15th to the 17th centuries, and the same type that Magellan sailed on when he made the first circumnavigation of the globe in the early 1500s.
The Andalucia was built and is owned by the Nao Foundation in Spain. The tall ship is 180 feet long with a draft of 19 feet. It has three masts and can carry seven sails.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27