- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
America sees arrival of Spanish galleon
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
EL Galeon Andalucia, an exact replica of a 17th century Spanish galleon, arrived in Maryland and will remain in town until Monday, Sept. 2, for visits.
“It is the only ship from that era sailing today,” Air Show organiser, Lilley said.
A galleon is a class of Spanish merchant ship used mostly from the 15th to the 17th centuries, and the same type that Magellan sailed on when he made the first circumnavigation of the globe in the early 1500s.
The Andalucia was built and is owned by the Nao Foundation in Spain. The tall ship is 180 feet long with a draft of 19 feet. It has three masts and can carry seven sails.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]